People can get the latest IRS news through the agency’s verified social media accounts and by subscribing to e-news services. These communication channels keep taxpayers “in the know” about important tax matters all year, not just during filing season.
IRS social media platforms
- Twitter: Taxpayers, businesses and tax professionals can follow the IRS handles for announcements, tips and tax security alerts.
- Facebook: News and information for everybody. There’s also a page in Spanish.
- Instagram: The IRS Instagram account shares taxpayer-friendly information.
- YouTube: The IRS offers three video channels − English, American Sign Languageand Multilingual. This channel features videos in Spanish, Chinese and Vietnamese. It also features playlists on specific tax topics, for tax professionalsand small businesses.
- LinkedIn: The IRS shares key agency communications and job opportunities.
The agency also has a free mobile app, IRS2Go, where taxpayers can check their refund status, find free tax help, watch IRS YouTube videos, and get daily tax tips. The IRS2Go app is available from the Google Play Store for Android devices, or from the Apple App Store for Apple devices. It is available in both English and Spanish.
The IRS does not send direct messages to taxpayers on social media asking for personal or financial information. Scammers make fake accounts impersonating the IRS. These are common scams that try to lure taxpayers on social media platforms or with unsolicited emails, texts, or calls.
Anyone can sign up for automatic email updates
The IRS e-News subscription service issues tax information by email for many different audiences. It provides tips, tools, and helpful materials of interest to taxpayers and organizations. The IRS offers subscription services tailored to tax exempt and government entities, small and large businesses as well as individuals. The service is easy to use. Anyone can sign up by visiting IRS e-News Subscriptions.
IRS e-News options include:
- IRS Outreach Connection − This subscription offering delivers up-to-date materials for tax professionals and partner groups inside and outside the tax community. The material for Outreach Connection is specifically designed so subscribers can share the material with their clients or members through email, social media, internal newsletters, e-mails or external websites.
- IRS Tax Tips – These brief, concise tips in plain language cover a wide-range of topics of general interest to taxpayers. They include the latest on tax scams, tax reform, tax deductions, filing extensions and amending returns. IRS Tax Tipsgenerally come out each weekday.
- IRS Newswire − Subscribers to IRS Newswire receive news releases the day they are issued. These cover a wide range of tax administration issues ranging from breaking news to details related to legal guidance.
- IRS News in Spanish – Noticias del IRS en Español − Readers get IRS news releases, tax tips and updates in Spanish. Subscribe at e-News Subscriptions.
- e-News for Tax Professionals − Includes a weekly roundup of news releases and legal guidance specifically designed for tax professionals. Subscribing to e-News for Tax Professionals gets tax pros a weekly summary, typically delivered on Friday afternoons.
- e-News for Small Businesses – Taxpayers can subscribe to e-News for Small Businesses to receive tax information for small business owners and self-employed individuals.
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: Taxpayers can stay “in the know” by following IRS social media and subscribing to e-news. http://ow.ly/tZcn50JWKU8